Hawthorne's first-ever Walk-a-Thon fundraiser was a HUGE success in so many ways. Here's a countdown of the top five:
1. Students in every classroom rallied more than $14,000 in pledges from friends and family, near and far, to support Science Technology Engineering Arts and Math (STEAM) at Hawthorne.
2. Every kid got a Walk-a-Thon T-shirt and pedometer thanks to generous support from our sponsors. BIG thanks to The Moose Group, which donated the T-shirts, and to Windermere-Mt. Baker, IBS, Inc. and MEM Consultants, for the pedometers and other Walk-a-Thon supplies!
3. All told, pledges and sponsorships netted more than $15,000 for STEAM at Hawthorne. Pledges are still trickling in and we'll be accepting online donations through the end of October.
4. Everyone had a fantastic time walking from Hawthorne to Genesee Park and back! The cloudy skies and occasional drizzle were no match for our enthusiasm. As one adorable kindergartner put it: "This is the best thing ever. I've always wanted to do this!"
5. The hard-working volunteers who organized the Walk-a-Thon kicked off a proud new fundraising tradition that we can build on in the future. And dozens of parents and community members stepped up to make the event a huge success.
Talk about rising up!
Click on the photo in this post to scroll through several Walk-a-Thon pictures. See more on our Facebook page.