We have many opportunities for anyone eager to support Hawthorne Elementary School and our students, from volunteering at school events to joining one of these teams. Let us know how you'd like to help by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or checking the box(es) that match your interest when you join the PTA.
- GRANT WRITING. Help us write grants for a multi-year project to transform Hawthorne's playground, and other sources of funding to improve educational opportunities at our school.
- ROOM REPRESENTATIVES. Help your child's teacher keep parents and caregivers informed about classroom needs, volunteer opportunities and more. (Check out Hawthorne's SignUp.com page to help you organize.)
- STEAM PLAYGROUND REDESIGN. Join a community-led project that's involved children, teachers, staff, parents and others collaborating on a Science Technology Engineering Arts and Math (STEAM)-inspired vision for re-imagining the outdoor play space at our school.
FALL WALKATHON. This event needs volunteers to accompany each class on the walk (2-3 volunteers/class) and about 20 volunteers to setting up, cleaning up or helping with other activities on the day of the event.
SPRING AUCTION. Our biggest fundraiser every year, raising more than $350,000 for Hawthorne since 2011! We are actively recruiting for an Auction Chair and other volunteers to help with procurement, database management and other event logistics for our next auction.
- GARDEN. Help keep our school garden thriving by signing up to water plants, volunteer during classroom trips to the garden, etc.
- EVENTS. Help us plan and pull off events like our Annual CommunityDa y of Service or the Winter Festival, which raises funds for the school through holiday tree and wreath sales.
- YEAR-ROUND FUNDRAISING. There are lots of everyday ways to raise money for our school, from coordinating collection of Box Tops for Education, to eScrip programs at Bartell and other stores that give a percentage of purchases to schools.
- COMMUNICATIONS. Help us update our website and spread the word about events, volunteer opportunities and other news. Reach out to prospective families, local businesses, faith communities, community organizations, news organizations, the school district.
- HEALTH & SAFETY. Help us advocate for traffic improvements and other health and safety issues.
There are many other ways to show your support for your Hawthorne student or neighborhood school like attending a school event, chaperoning a classroom field trip, volunteering in the classroom or helping your child's teacher sort homework or hang artwork.